dinsdag 20 oktober 2009

omg! tzou je maar gebeuren...

Parents' fury after two-year-old boy escapes first day of school and toddles home alone

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 1:05 PM on 20th October 2009


Toddler: Dylan Lowe, now three, was two when he escaped nursery and walked home alone
A boy of two was left to walk home on his own after he sneaked out of nursery during a school induction day.
Dylan Lowe, who has just turned three, gave his teacher the slip less than an hour after he was dropped off because he didn't want to be parted from his mother on his first day.
But after wandering out of the gates of St Thomas' Primary School in Moorside, near Oldham, Greater Manchester, Dylan dodged traffic on a busy main road and crossed two side streets before toddling home.
He then stunned his father Phillip Lowe, 28, by turning up at the family house asking: 'Where's mummy?'
A teacher arrived within minutes to collect him and take him back.
Today, as the school apologised, Dylan's mother Toni Boswell, 27, a mother of three said, 'I can't believe this was allowed to happen to my son.
'It is every parent's worst nightmare for a child to go missing but for Dylan to run out of school under the noses of teachers is scandalous.
'I am disgusted that a little child could go home on his own.' 
The incident occurred after Miss Boswell dropped Dylan off at the nursery before going to the doctors for a medical appointment.
She added: 'He's a big wanderer like many other children of his age and I had even told a teacher on the induction day that my main concern was that Dylan runs off and I was frightened he might do the same at the nursery.
'I walked all the way round the side of the school to go to the doctors. I looked back when I walked out and I saw the door of the nursery was open but I just thought, "stop worrying" and I carried on with my journey.
'When I came back my partner was waiting for me at the side of the street, and he said "we've had a visitor."
St Thomas' Primary School
St Thomas' Primary School near Oldham where Dylan walked out less than an hour after being dropped off by his mother
Dylan's route home
Dylan's route home: The toddler crossed a busy main road and two side streets before arriving home
'Dylan had been in the house for about four minutes on his own before the teacher came down to get him.
'Apparently he had got out and got through the play area but was outside the shops nearby on his own for four minutes because he thought I was there.
'It took him three or four minutes to walk home. He had to cross a main road which is also a bus route, and then he was at the shop, and then he has to walk down two side streets to get home.
'The school said they were really sorry and were apologising non-stop. They said they didn't know how he had got out. Dylan was upset after it happened, he started crying when he saw me.
'The teacher took him over to all the other boys and girls and said that they couldn't go out onto the road. They were obviously very sorry for what happened.
'But they said they couldn't lock the gates because of all the deliveries they get, and when I asked for electronic gates they said they did not have any money for it.
'I don't think they are taking it seriously enough and it could happen again.'
Dylan is now attending another nursery.
Adam Laskey, head teacher of St Thomas', said: 'We regret this incident and immediately took action, including additional security measures and new procedures, to prevent a recurrence.
'We have continued to monitor and review these procedures.
'We would like to thank the parents who have supported us in this by ensuring they close the gates installed for their children's safety as they come and go.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1221634/Parents-fury-year-old-boy-escapes-day-school-toddles-home-alone.html#ixzz0UUNiK7Md

Geen opmerkingen: